Sensory Integration Facility
What Is Sensory Integration Programming?
A fully accessible sensory integration facility is available to people receiving services and families living in the Parry Sound area.
Sensory integration is a neurological process which occurs within all of us. Our brains are equipped to take in, organize, sort out and integrate information from all of our senses and make it meaningful.
Many children and adults have sensory integration difficulties. Some of these difficulties may be expressed through challenging behaviours or “acting out”, or the person may become self-absorbed, withdrawn and/or passive.
Sensory needs are now recognized as an integral part of development in conjunction with communication and behaviour.
This room provides a multi-sensory environment designed to stimulate the primary senses of touch, sight, sound, and smell. This will provide the person the stimulus they need to help reach their full potential. The therapy is unique to each person and is developed and monitored by an occupational therapist trained in the area of sensory integration.
Benefits Of Sensory Integration Programming
- Improved balance
- Improved posture
- Increased periods of calm
- Improved functional skills
- Increased social interaction
- Improved self-awareness
- Increased self-confidence
- Improved muscle tone
- Increased body awareness
- Increased attention span
- Positive changes in behaviour
Equipment and Materials Available
- Line Lite (offers visual and tactile experiences);
- Fiber Optic Light Spray (cables of constantly changing colours);
- Magiglow Board (encourages creativity with light);
- Aroma Diffuser (allows efficient dissipation of essential oils);
- Water bed;
- Vestibular Board;
- Cushioned Hammock Chair;
- Auditory materials;
- Barrier-free tracking system;
- Interactive Bubble Tube (participant activated or pre-programmed display);
- Effects Wheel (rotating patterns allow for a tranquil / vibrant atmosphere).
If you would like more information, or to book the Sensory Room, please contact:
Lori McPhaden at firstname.lastname@example.org.