What is COVID-19?
COVID-19 is the disease caused by a coronavirus, more specifically, the SARS-CoV-2 virus. Those who are infected with COVID-19 often show few symptoms or even none at all. You may not know you have symptoms of COVID-19 because they are similar to a cold or flu.
Symptoms have included:
- difficulty breathing
- pneumonia in both lungs
- In severe cases, infection can lead to death. Symptoms may take up to 14 days to appear after exposure to COVID-19. This is the longest known incubation period for this disease. It is for these reasons that the COVID-19 outbreak has become a pandemic.
Plain Language Guide for COVID-19
Another great resource written in plain language can be found here. Finally, APTUS created two social stories that can be used to help people with disabilities understand their housemate’s or their own COVID-19 diagnosis, should such a scenario occur.
How to Keep Your Family Healthy
What is Physical Distancing?
You have probably seen signage in stores or have maybe heard people talking about physical or social distancing. As of right now, physical distancing is the only known way we can slow the spread of COVID-19. Because the SARS-CoV-2 virus is spread by water droplets (expelled by breathing), keeping a ‘safe’ distance (6 feet or 2 metres or more) between people [not in your household] is crucial.
How do I Self-Isolate?
It is imperative that you isolate yourself from others if you have COVID-19 symptoms or may have been exposed to COVID-19. Follow these steps if you have been directed to self-isolate by your healthcare provider or Telehealth.
Looking for things to do while staying home?
Finding engaging and fun activities to keep yourself or your loved ones busy can be frustrating – especially when we’re meant to spend most if not all, our time at home. Thankfully, Community Living Huntsville has shared this resource guidebook filled with online sources of entertainment. We hope that you can find something worthwhile inside!
- Plain Language Vaccine Information
- Plain Language Follow-Up for Vaccine
- Vaccine Resouces
- FAQ for Covid-19 Vaccine
- West Parry Sound Health Centre Newsletter
- Siblings with Disabilities Information
- Public Health Agency of Canada
- World Health Organization
- Public Health Ontario
- Canadian Association for Community Living
- Mental Health Commission of Canada
- Town of Parry Sound
- Community Living Ontario
- Standard of Care – Adult Critical Care Clinical Emergency
- Letter to Minister re Triage Protocol
- Triage Protocol